Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Pedagogic Sublime

'Tis the season for push-back. Charles Weise, Associate Professor in the Economics Department at Gettysburg College and Chair of the department, responds to student evaluations:

"Herewith a response to my critics.

1. Ouch, that’s harsh!

2. “God’s gift to Gettysburg College” is going a bit too far. Let’s just say that I think they’re very fortunate to have me.

3. But every time I slowed down one of you fell asleep.

4. The two of you are going to have to have this out between yourselves. I clearly will not be able to please both of you.

5. At least spell it right – it’s A-R-R-O-G-A-N-T P-R-I-C-K.

6. Why thank you, I believe you’re right. I attribute the fact that I “understand the material” to my 25 years of study in the area, including four years of undergraduate study, six years of graduate study, a Ph.D dissertation, thirteen years doing path-breaking research in the field, and the fact that this is the twelfth time I’ve taught this exact course.

7. I’m sorry you feel that way, but you see I have tenure. Bite me.

8. I cannot help you if you do not ask for help. Next time please raise your hand if you require assistance getting your head out of your own ass.

9. The Provost’s office requires only that I “be in my office” during office hours. Nowhere is it written that I cannot be under my desk with the door locked and my lights out.

10. Boxers." (Charles Weise or "Maynard," "A response to my critics," Creative Destruction, Monday May 15, 2006).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home